Friday 18 February 2011

The Archangels' Visit: Day 4

Light and Shade 


Life carries on as it always has.  There are no miracles in the traditional sense.  But that said, the daily rhythm seems lighter than before.  I'm happier than before.  There are even moments when I feel joy welling up inside me for no real reason.

In telling the story of our Archangel visit, feeling happier and lighter are unlikely to convince skeptics!  And, if I'm honest, perhaps the skeptic that is searching for proof, who still wants to be convinced, is me.  I do love a good story!

But I am brought back to the Zen teaching: "before enlightenment, chop wood, carry water; after enlightenment, chop wood, carry water."

There is a lot of the humdrum to life.  So, perhaps learning to see the light alongside the shade, to experience joy as I 'chop wood, carry water', though subtle, is a both quiet and profound.  It reflects our daily experience - life can seem quiet and uneventful, yet the very fact that we have a life is utterly profound.

No comments:

Post a Comment