Monday 24 September 2012

Better

On Friday I finally gave up.  Or gave in.  I'm not sure which.  I was fed up of feeling that I wasn't quite providing James with all the stimulation he needs as he approaches 2 years.  Every activity I try lasts 10 minutes instead of an afternoon.  It's so frustrating.

So I took the bull by the horns...

Over the weekend, I did research on the milestones he should be reaching, and found activities, crafts and tasks that will support those achievements.  Then I put together a whole load of resources, from old kitchen gloves to card and colouring templates to create a resource shelf for James.

We were going to have more fun, more structured activities, and more... well... how can I put this... Job satisfaction.  That's it.  I don't feel as though I'm on the back foot, reactively thinking up things to do.  I have a huge list of possiblities now.

We are nearly finished day one and it has been terrific.  James has been more contented because there was more to occupy him.  It was also a little messier and a little more challenging that I'd normally play with him, which he clearly enjoyed.  Some things worked, some didn't.  There isn't a surface in our home that isn't covered in glitter after glittery play dough time!

And I feel good about myself.  I feel like I was the kind of mother I want to be.  I'm going to enjoy that feeling ... while it lasts! 

No comments:

Post a Comment