Wednesday 9 January 2013

Parenting 101 - don't lie to children

James and I had  a play date yesterday.  We were seeing his friend, also called James, and James' sister Lucy.

'My' James wandered into the kitchen where I was chatting with Andrew. 
"Mama, chocolade," said James.
The other James wandered in behind him.
"No James, no chocolate"

I didn't know if Andrew had chocolate so wanted to nip this in the bud.

"James doesn't eat chocolate," I added inexplicably, knowing it wasn't true and amazing myself that I had just lied to James, for the first time I can remember.

I had no sooner uttered the lie (which I never do with James and this is why)...

"Daddy, me want chocolate," insisted the other James.

Never, ever lie to children.  It will only bite back!

No comments:

Post a Comment